Wednesday 31 January 2007

#2: On self improvement

I'm currently between assignments so I have had a bit of spare time on my hands.

There's been time to undertake a couple of modest home improvements, with a bit of input from IKEA (I once read that an astounding proportion of Western Europe's population born since WWII was conceived in an IKEA bed - something like 60%).

I've also been on an intermittent program of self improvement, which has introduced me to the genre of "how to" books - How to take over the world has inspired me.

Many of the others have been somewhat less than inspirational.

As a person contemplating new career directions, What color is your parachute? A practical manual for job-hunters and career-changers looked to be of interest. After all, it's Still the best-selling job-hunting book in the world! 9 MILLION COPIES SOLD!.

Could 9 MILLION readers possibly be wrong?

The idiosyncratic use of hyphens should have been a dead give away. As it turns out, I didn't make it past the acknowledgements (page XV) in which the author gives his thanks to "The Great Lord God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, and source of all grace, wisdom, and compassion....." and so on and on and on for 132 words. Now I'm not necessarily offended by public affirmations of personal faith (nor of irregular comma use) but:

1. 132 words is a mess of a sentence
2. there's a definite imputation here that this is divinely inspired - who does this guy think he is, the Pope?
3. there's not the usual disclaimer - 'thank God for the good things in this book and I'm responsible for the crap' (I suppose that if 2 is the case then then 3 is unnecessary?).


I should have browsed more carefully before handing over the requisite $34.95. I do take comfort in the fact that the book is printed on New leaf EcoBook50, made with 50% post-consumer waste , processed chlorine free, which saved 1116 full grown trees. Here's a recycling idea: anyone feeling the need to consult this manual can have mine for the cost of the postage.


365 ways to change the world - how to make a difference is quite an engaging browse (this is the sort of book you browse in off moments, rather than read). Did you know there are now over 46,000 pieces of plastic waste in every square mile of the world's oceans? I didn't and I have no idea whether it's actually true but it does give force to the recommended action on 22 February which is to "say NO! to PLASTIC BAGS". Perfectly rational to me.

A few random selections from other recommended actions

1. on 1 April (why doesn't this surprise me?) MASTURBATE for peace
2. if, sadly, you happen to die around 2 June, have a GREEN funeral which involves a bamboo coffin and burial in a paddock
3. on 25 July, whip up some open source COLA, the syrup of which comprises, among other ingredients, 2.25 litres of water and 2.25 kgs of white granulated sugar - just like the real thing.


That's the flavour of it - there's some quite wacky (and arguably vaguely criminal recommendations) but overall well worth a browse and, as these things go, just a snip at $24.95. Unfortunately, it's not printed on New Leaf EcoBook50.

But now to today, when I came across the SEE cafe (an establishment which is a story in itself - go here) and was immediately attracted by a blurb for a manual called GUTS - The book too bold for bookshops. This is possibly overstating it, but it does have a few contestable propositions:

Want the secret of success in life and business?
Then, first you need GUTS to tell the truth
:

1. Like, we need fewer women in the workplace and more cavemen.
2. Jesus Christ was the original brand guru and business is our new religion.
3. Rationality is over-rated and it's why business can't connect with consumers.


As an aging SNAG and, I like to think, an occasionally rational person, I found this blurb absolutely arresting. It's not immediately apparent to me as to how you will unshackle the creative potential of humanity in a "new Renaissance" (which seems to be our author's goal) through shackling the greater part of humanity. And for my part, I think irrational behaviour is grossly overrated and quite often fatal for innocent bystanders.

But, hey, let's not get ahead of this - I haven't actually read this one, merely browsed through it on the 109 tram. You never know, there may be in this tome a pointer to the ultimate destination in my journey of personal self improvement (i.e. something akin to world domination in something), in which case this will be $45 well spent.

No comments: